I will only tell you that you should think of the next guy that is going to
have to maintain this code.  Do him or her and yourself a favor, use the
system provided services before writing code that may or may not be correct
in the future.  I just went thru a similar exercise... Which was
interesting.. but a total waste of time.  If i were a manager, and someone
that worked for me told me he wrote a wiz-bang date routine... It better be
ground breaking, a "have to" for some crazy performance reason, or better
use a system service that will perform the function... Else it is just a
waste of time.. pun intended.  I would prefer they spend time on problems
that hadnt already been solved.

Rob Schramm