On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Ed Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net> wrote:
<snip>
> You are in a difficult situation (much like all of Texas).
>
> Personally I hope you don't get awakened at 0030 with an issue and
> production is now broken.

Ah. I was unclear. My use of Co:Z is only in a non-production run (not
even controlled by CA-7, but actually submitted by z/OS UNIX cron). I
basically just produce a bit of output which is helpful to others in
Tech Services and Production Control. It has no effect on end-user
production. Even _I_ am not so foolish.

Now the use on XMITIP is used in a _lot_ of production. Much to my
dismay. And also against my recommendation, even though it is very
solid.

I also have some CBTTape stuff here. Which is only used by myself for
"ad hoc" purposes.

> One time I was "lucky" and the people left the source. It was simple to find
> (and fix) the problem (In this specific case it was a return code issue and
> it was a easy case to insert a LA 15,0 and Walhalla it was fixed. In another
> case it was a problem involving swa above the line and there was no source
> code. I had to improvise a fix.
> I had another case of SWA above the line and it was a national vendor
> (talked about on here occasionally) and it was the one piece of software
> that they DID provide source. I was able to fix their source code with
> little problem (about 30 minutes of my time). I fixed it and called the
> problem in and told them it was a critical fix needed. 6 months later they
> had not started working on a 4 or 5 line fix. I have never felt nicely
> towards them again, in fact I have gone out of my way to fight any software
> acquisitions from them.
>
> Then there are vendors (usually mentioned on here, nicely) that are super
> support types that fix the majority of problems in a quick way those are the
> type that I wish all vendors were like but unfortunately most aren't.
>
> I have had it up to here with the other types and sysprogs that leave
> "goodies" behind for others to clean up, I can do with out.

Well, unfortunately, I am tasked to do things. So it is use what I
have available to me because we _aren't_ going to get supported
products which cost real money. And z/OS is not the only victim. The
Windows people likewise have processes which are dependent on
non-supported software. Because it reduces our budget.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown