On Jul 8, 2014, at 7:15 AM, John McKown wrote:

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Ed Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net> wrote:
Shane:

That an issue... wondering minstrel... I have been an 4 shops where
wondering minstrels have left their "tools" and I have to clean up and listen to 30 (or so people) complain about this used to work. Sorry BTDTGTS
I don't accept that answer.

That will happen here for _one_ thing. I use Co:Z Hybrid processing to
send data down to my Linux desktop, run a script on it to "clean it
up", then return the clean data back to z/OS. The batch job then uses
the cleaned up data to send an email.

Oh, yes, we use XMITIP, heavily, for sending email from z/OS.

I guess it is lucky for the company that z/OS has been sunsetted. So
use of "unsupported" tools is not really a cause for concern.

Of course, I am considering trying to "turn on" one of the actuaries
to a language called "R", which does statistics and beautiful graphs.
And it can even read/write Excel spreadsheets. The big plus of this is
that R is FOSS and can be used without paying any money. And the
actuaries are used to doing their own analysis. They certainly don't
ask IT to create Excel spreadsheets for them. They just grab data from
the "data warehouse" and "have fun" with it. Nobody in IT has any idea
what they are doing. Come to think of it, neither do the other
actuaries. So when one actuary quits, the others scramble to try to
understand what s/he was doing in Excel, et al.

You are in a difficult situation (much like all of Texas).

Personally I hope you don't get awakened at 0030 with an issue and production is now broken. One time I was "lucky" and the people left the source. It was simple to find (and fix) the problem (In this specific case it was a return code issue and it was a easy case to insert a LA 15,0 and Walhalla it was fixed. In another case it was a problem involving swa above the line and there was no source code. I had to improvise a fix. I had another case of SWA above the line and it was a national vendor (talked about on here occasionally) and it was the one piece of software that they DID provide source. I was able to fix their source code with little problem (about 30 minutes of my time). I fixed it and called the problem in and told them it was a critical fix needed. 6 months later they had not started working on a 4 or 5 line fix. I have never felt nicely towards them again, in fact I have gone out of my way to fight any software acquisitions from them.

Then there are vendors (usually mentioned on here, nicely) that are super support types that fix the majority of problems in a quick way those are the type that I wish all vendors were like but unfortunately most aren't.

I have had it up to here with the other types and sysprogs that leave "goodies" behind for others to clean up, I can do with out.

Ed

Ed