On 10 July 2014 21:38, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:
> on 07/09/2014 at 03:27 AM, Barry Merrill <ba...@mxg.com> said:
>
>>While I clearly didn't recollect the correct command names, I do
>>remember specifically that when one of the commands that used TPUT
>>was encountered in the list of commands in my benchmark batch job,
>>none of the subsequent commands in the input DD (SYSTSIN??) were
>>executed, so I would delete that command and rerun until I had a list
>>of commands that did execute in TSO in batch.
>
> My guess is that the command also did TGET.

TGET in batch returns RC=0, with a zero-length line, which some
programs will treat as an end of file. But this strange design
decision of long ago causes severe problems when a program treats it
instead as the key to re-issue the TGET. In one situation I found it
necessary to install an SVC Screening routine to change the RC=0 to
RC=8 ("user hit attention") to avoid the loop. (Of course the program
issuing the TGET wasn't mine.)

Tony H.