From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Peter Hunkeler
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Aw: Re: Authorizing 8 char technical userid to use TSO CONSOLE command

> Before any TSO commands may be entered, the LOGON command must be used with a
> valid TSO User ID.

This is not true if you run TSO in batch (EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01, etc.). You can
definitely run TSO commands under an 8 char userid, although you cannot *logon*
to TSO.

I do understand that a userid cannot have more than 7 chars to be a "valid" TSO
userid, either by defining it in the UADS or by assigning it a TSO segment. I'd
like to understand what inhibits the usage of some commands whereas most
commands run without problems with 8 char userids.

--
Peter Hunkeler