From: Hobart Spitz
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2014 07:44
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: TSO EDIT COMMAND - BOUNDS

For those who may be confused, this may make things worse :-) :

- TSO EDIT is an ancient (circa 1970) line mode editor, and which (being
generous) has very little use today. Try typing HELP EDIT at READY or in
ISPF option 6.
- ISPF EDIT is a full-screen editor with a BOUNDS command. It was
inspired by FSE (Full Screen Edit) in the early 1980s. ISPF EDIT is the
editor that is used almost exclusively under z/OS.

All of the above discussion applied to ISPF EDIT despite referring to TSO
EDIT. ISPF runs under TSO/E. TSO EDIT does not require ISPF. ISPF EDIT
requires both TSO/E and ISPF.

While everyone seems to have understood what was intended, it might pay to
be a bit more accurate, as there are various native TSO commands that
provide (all but unknown and unused) line-mode analogs to a few ISPF
facilities with similar names, e.g. COPY, ASM, LINK, LISTCAT, etc.

OREXXMan