Charles Mills wrote:

>That is EXACTLY what the fairly new IBM product zAware (you can Google it)
>does:

Indeed. While it is *free* (sort of, but see below my question), you need some
preparation work (optionally setup a LDAP Server to name one) before you can
start use it. Talk with your friendly IBMer.

>watches for console message "anomalies" and highlights them (in the general
>sense of the word highlight; I don't mean it makes them brighter on the
>console).

You use a browser to look at them. Think of it as a consolidated 'console' or
one place to see all messages and events.

>Well, it does everything except fit your budget constraint LOL.

Just curious, Are there any (paid?) licenses or enablements required for
zAware? A quick search did not yield, at least for me, any good info about that.

Disclaimer: I wish *sigh* I have zAware now, but I still can wait for it... ;-D

mf db wrote:

>I am looking for a mainframe monitoring software which reports all the
>exceptional messages to the mainframe operators.

Define 'exceptional messages'. Are you looking for WTORs, IOS*, ICH*, strange
abends, etc?

>I know a few products like Omegamon or OPS/MVS but just looking for other
>alternative option. We have a budget constraints as well so i am just trying
>to evaluate the best one for us.

You can always write something to scan the SYSLOG or intercept messages, but
while free, it is somewhat a hassle to maintain that. I have been on that
route, believe me, it IS a hassle...

Alternatively, if you have lots of spare funds, try using a Console
interceptor, something like Control-O, Omegamon or OPS/MVS or something else. I
believe Netview can do that too.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht