On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Joel C. Ewing <jcew...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 08/16/2014 06:14 AM, Mike Stayton wrote:
> > and also
> >
> > http://www.research.ibm.com/articles/brain-chip.shtml
> >
> > Mike Stayton
> >

> An interesting development, but if technology ever progresses to the
> point where we remotely approach the cognitive power of the human brain
> we would need to exercise EXTREME caution, as humans can "learn" and be
> certain of so many things that simply aren't true including mutually
> impossible "facts", be blind to their own ignorance, come to irrational,
> destructive conclusions, and have mental breakdowns.  There is a reason
> that the computers that we rely on have been designed around
> deterministic architectures.  Science fiction has repeatedly dealt with
> the dangers of placing cognitive machines in control.  I particularly
> remember one original Star Trek episode ("The Ultimate Computer") where
> such a  cognitive computer (M-5) went berserk because its designer
> patterned its memory engrams on his own and he himself turned out to be
> mentally unstable.
>
> Just image the extreme damage potential of an ultra-fast,
> ultra-efficient cognitive machine in control of some critical process or
> decisions if it were patterned on the memory engrams of a Sarah Palin.
>
> --
> Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org

Or, as Colossus said when asked: "Is there a God?" : "There is _now_!"
Most sci-fi stories have A.I. computers as "fragile" with "lobotomize"
circuits built in to them for when they become unstable. There are few
example of Dahak. ("The Mutineers Moon" by David Weber). Nothing like
having a supercomputer who thinks it is Pol Pot.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown