We have never had, and are some considerable distance from
fabricating, a computer that thinks and acts like Pol Pot.  We have
had a Pol Pot.

Voltaire viewed history as a long sequence of mindless atrocities, and
it may be that a brain-like computer would in fact be more benign than
we as a species have proved to be.

However that may be, Luddite viewing with alarm was entirely
predictable as a principal response to this announcement.

von Neumann did not live to finish them; but his incomplete Silliman
Lectures---published by the Yale University Press as 'The computer and
the brain'---are prescient in this context.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA