There are several areas where LE does not agree well with the
calling conventions, as I learned them in the mid 80s.

- forward save area chaining (never done by LE, turning SYSUDUMP
save area traces useless ... we fix this in our site specific interface modules, which are used between every two external module calls, be it dynamic linkage
or static linkage)

- the convention also implemented by SYSUDUMP, that entry points be
documented by a text which starts at EPA + 5, with a one byte length field
at EPA + 4. Today we always have x'01' and C'CEE' there; the compilers
do it this way (although not all compilers are CEE compilers), and so the
SYSUDUMP output of the save area trace, if any, looks like this:

MODULE xxxx WAS CALLED AT EP C

which does not help in any way.

Our site specific dump routines, which replace SYSUDUMP etc.,
show at the same place the function (or CSECT) name of the programming language,
be it PL/1, C, (C++) or ASSEMBLER ... coming from PPA2 ...
and in certain situations the compile date. It would be very easy to get
the same information in SYSUDUMP, too, if the function prolog would
be compatible to SYSUDUMP standards, which, IMO, are part of the
linkage conventions.

BTW: these problems were not introduced with LE; they were already there
which pre-LE versions of PL/1, for example (OS-PL/1 version 2.x). I first
learned about these problems in 1991, when I started using PL/1 at my
current customer's site. From 1984 to 1991 I only did ASSEMBLER on MVS (then), and I was kind of surprised in 1991, that the other languages did not conform
to what I understood as being system standards.

Kind regards

Bernd