Lua4z was built using the IBM-1047 code page but the lexer and parser have been patched to tolerate IBM-037 http://lua4z.com/doc/manual/using.md.html#Square_brackets. Unfortunately, output is printed in IBM-1047 which is why the square brackets are garbled. I could fix this but you need to specify your codepage with a setting in LUACONF.

Although Lua4z tolerates IBM-037 I would highly recommend switching to IBM-1047 if you can. Most people use IBM-037 due to inertia and don't even use square brakets or caret characters. You will soon run into issues with Lua4z if you want to use one of the JSON libraries with IBM-037.

On 25/10/2014 3:49 AM, Barkow, Eileen wrote:
I had to change the brackets to x'AD' X'BD', the same as I use for java.
The for i = 1, count do a[i]  = i * i end statement fixed the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Brennan
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 3:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ANN] Lua4z: the Lua programming language on z/OS, with batteries

This suggestion is probably unrelated to the actual issue, but I see the odd
characters ÝC¨ in your note, which I think should display as square brackets.
If your terminal emulator is currently set to use code page
37 (or similar), you might try code page 1047.

Barkow, Eileen wrote:
I keep getting this error both in MVS and UNIX.

LUA: //'xcics.lua4z.samplib(cpu)':4: attempt to perform arithmetic on field '?
   ' (a nil value)
  stack traceback:
          //'xcics.lua4z.samplib(cpu)':4: in main chunk
          ÝC¨: ?
  ***