From: Hardee, Chuck
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 11:34
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: SMP/E APPLY output capture question

See, that's the rub.
As I understand SMP/E, if there is no DD in the JCL, then SMP/E will allocate
based on the DDDEFs.
If there is a DD in the JCL, then SMP/E will use it.

The first attempt at capturing the output was to do exactly as you indicated.
That didn't work for whatever reason, and I say it that way because not only
did I get no output on SYSPRINT, I did not get any errors reported on the JES
log, SYSMSGs, SMPOUT or SMPRPT.

And, I'm using a usermod that APPLYs with a return code of 0 and an assembly
listing as well as a link map.

That's why I'm so confused about what's going on here. The CSI definitions are
fine when I don't try to capture the output but when I supply my own DD
statements I get nothing.

It's just not making sense to me why things aren't working as I would expect.

I don't know if it's a release thing or not. We're running z/OS 1.13 and SMP/E
36.38.

Charles (Chuck) Hardee
Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
EAS Information Technology

Thermo Fisher Scientific
300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230
chuck.har...@thermofisher.com | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to
the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please inform the sender and delete all copies.