Thanks. Yes, you answered the right question.

Re-phrasing your answer
- In all cases (started procs, ordinary jobs, whatever) JCLLIB must come
before the first EXEC so as to keep the resolution of proc names simple and
unambiguous.
- In a started proc with no JOB statement, the command processor builds the
JOB and EXEC PROC=, so there is no convenient way to insert a JCLLIB
statement in-between.

> why should it? You can create jobs including JCLLIB easily

In my particular case, I have to jump through some (modest) hoops to update
a start-eligible proclib. (And for whatever reason, the only start-eligible
proclib I can update at all is not in the JOB-statement-permitted
concatenations.) I thought if I could include JCL from my own PDS via JCLLIB
and INCLUDE it would make my life easier.

Charles