From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 8:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: BDW length vs. Physical Length

For RECFM=V(B)(S), what happens if the physical length of a block exceeds the
length in the BDW?

o Bytes in the physical block beyond the length in the BDW are ignored?
  (A writer on another list tells me I can rely on this.)

o The access method reports an error?

I prefer to follow the rules.

Suppose the programmer reads blocks with BSAM and performs strict error
checking?  Suppose the programmer reads a VBS file on a non-z system and
performs strict error checking?

(SMP/E copies IEBCOPY relative files to UNIX files and relies on the BDWs to
reconstitute the VBS data set.)

-- gil