From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Anne & Lynn Wheeler
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 8:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: BDW length vs. Physical Length

cblaic...@syncsort.com (Blaicher, Christopher Y.) writes:
> ECKD, which is what all modern DASD is, stands for Extended Count Key
> Data.  The 'Extended' refers to the channel commands you can issue,
> not the devices capabilities.  All blocks written to a ECKD device
> consist of a Count field, an optional Key field and a Data field.  The
> Count field is 8 bytes long and has a format of CCHHRKDD.  (Extended
> format volume count fields are formatted slightly differently, but for
> basics, this will do.)

all modern disk is fixed-block, there hasn't been any real CKD DASD
manufactured for decades ... it is all emulated on industry fixed-block disks.

ECKD started out when MVS couldn't support FBA ... and they wanted to retrofit
3380 3mbyte/sec disks to 168&3033 1.5mbyte/sec channels ... getting CALYPSO to
work was something of horror story

past posts mentioning FBA, CKD, multi-track seek, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#dasd

past posts specifically mentioning CALYPSO
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004o.html#7 Integer types for 128-bit addressing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#40 FBA rant
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007f.html#0 FBA rant
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008q.html#40 TOPS-10
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009k.html#44 Z/VM support for FBA devices was Re:
z/OS support of HMC's 3270 emulation?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#11 Secret Service plans IT reboot
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#36 What was old is new again (water
chilled)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010h.html#30 45 years of Mainframe
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010n.html#14 Mainframe Slang terms
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#35 junking CKD; was "Social Security
Confronts IT Obsolescence"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012j.html#12 Can anybody give me a clear idea
about Cloud Computing in MAINFRAME ?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012o.html#64 Random thoughts: Low power, High
performance

________________________________

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with
this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other confidential
and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in
this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always
confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written
approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that
any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this
message in your possession, custody or control.