On 2014-12-23, at 15:59, Blaicher, Christopher Y. wrote:

> QSAM and V/VB/VBS format requires a well formed block.  The BDW must equal
> the total of the RDW's +4.  The +4 is for the BDW.  You mess that up and QSAM
> will throw an error.  As long as the BDW is equal to or less than the
> BLKSIZE, QSAM will be happy.

Reading Data Sets
> BSAM needs to follow the same rules as QSAM, especially on writing, so that
> someone using QSAM can read what the person using BSAM wrote.  Needless to
> say, you have far more opportunities to mess things up with BSAM because you
> point at a block and tell BSAM to write it.  If you format the block badly,
> BSAM isn't going to tell you about it, it will just write the block.  That is
> especially true for RECFM=V/VB/VBS, although if you try to write longer than
> the BLKSIZE, it will give you an error.  I can't remember, but BSAM may, and
> I stress may, check the block length is a multiple of the LRECL.  I tend to
> include that sanity check in my own code, so I haven't seen it in BSAM in
> years.

I had asked a related question on IBMVM, citing:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/nl/en-us/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idad400/d4361.htm
Null Segments
z/OS DFSMS Using Data Sets
SC23-6855-00

I could find no affirmative statement in op. cit. either
affirming or forbidding that the physical block may be
longer than the count in the BDW, and Alan Altmark followed up:

On 2014-12-22, at 10:13, Alan Altmark wrote:
> MVS has no problem with short records in a block for VB[S] files.  Padding
> the last record doesn't hurt because MVS writes ECKD records that are
> BLKSIZE in length, but you must not modify the RDW to include the pad
> bytes.

... which raises lotsa questions.  Is this BLKSIZE in the DCB,
BLKSIZE in the JFCB, or other?  What goes in the CKD COUNT field?
For EKCD RECFM=FB, how does the access method recognize a short
block that may occur at the end of the data set (or even in the
interior).  Does ECKD prohibit DISP=MOD for RECFM=FB?  Etc.

-- gil