On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:24:38 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
> on 12/14/2014 at 09:09 AM, Alan Watthey said:
>
>>The change command is still missing one capability I would love to
>>see.  The ability to set variables in the first parameter.
>
>If you're going to ask for captures, why not go whole hog and ask for
>named captures? They can be quite useful.

This would be a reasonable Requirement for a macro written in Rexx.
For a macro in Assembler, COBOL, ..., given the a priori uncertainty of
the length of the subject string matched by the pattern, it's more
challenging.  Yet more for a regex invoked from the command line.
Unless the captured string is used only in the replacement text.

Does ISPF return to the regex caller the origin and length of the
matched text?  That would make it easy to extract the line and
from that the captured subject text.

Likewise, ISPF provides no way to extract a range of lines to a
Rexx compound symbol.  That also woulc show a pro-Rexx bias.

-- gil