Hi Kees,

I don't think that's true at all.

All you need to do is look at the history of roll-outs to understand what IBM
is doing. Except for this January announcement (which is only about four months
later than historically), IBM has very clearly announced a processor every
year, alternating the business class (smaller) with the enterprise class
(larger) machines. It makes business sense, and each size of shop can plan on a
new model about every two years. I'm updating my CPU Chart today, so happen to
have all this information available. Here's what's happened in the past, and
you can see the pattern:

Larger                  Smaller

z13 - 3/15
                                zBC12 - 9/13
zEC12 - 9/12
                                z114 - 9/11
z196 - 7/10
                                z10-BC - 10/08
z10-EC - 9/08
                                z9-BC-R07 - 05/06
z9-EC - 9/05, 11/05
                                z890 - 5/04
z990 - 6/03, 10/03
z900 Turbo - 5/02
                                z800 - 02/02, 12/02
z900 - 5/99

Based on IBM's history, I would have expected the z13 large machines in 9/14,
but they showed up four months later. And I expect the smaller z13 machines
sometime between 9/15 and 1/16.

I wouldn't be worried about the future.

I personally like the simpler naming of z13 for all sizes. What drives me batty
is marketing name changes like all 'System z' machines from the past are now
renamed to 'z Systems'. Don't those people have better things to do with their
time?   ;-)

Best regards,
Cheryl

Cheryl Watson
Watson & Walker, Inc.
100 Central Avenue, Suite 1013
Sarasota, FL 34236-5731
www.watsonwalker.com
cell & text: 941-266-6609

On Jan 16, 2015, at 4:09 AM, Vernooij, CP (ITOPT1) - KLM