One of the machines is rather old and one is much more current (1.6 vs 1.10 I
believe but will check again tonight - I am only a user)

I did it with COBOL 4.2 and 5.1 with same results.  I do not remember the C
compiler levels but the behavior was consistent, and WRONG in all combinations.

I provided the C program in order to remove the complexity of C to COBOL
interface.  I would ask that somebody should check it on your machine (replace
the DUMPMEM with printf in Hex).  If it happens on your latest and greatest
version, than I have a point.

It does not matter whether the bug is in the library itself or in the language
(C, COBOL, whatever) to library interface; I used the thing in the most common,
no frills way, as is described in the manual, interfacing two different
standard languages and got a problem.  Either the manual is wrong or the
library or the interface.  It is clearly not a user programming issue.

If anybody may overcome this issue by using some clever compile options than be
it, but I do not think so!

Ze'ev Atlas