I am going back to the drawing board and I will have a hard look at the regex.h
again and will do some tests with 64 bits compilations vs. 32 bits.

It is extremely hard to deduce from the documentation what to expect and what
structure is in effect when one compiles with any combination of
pragma's/macros, etc. Than, when I know better, I'll still have the task of
apply that knowledge to COBOL compilation combination.  I assume now that COBOL
and C when compiled under normal LE environment communicate somehow with the
library to produce the correct structures in reality.  If I am correct, I just
have to trace the rules and translate them to appropriate copybooks.

I still think that the decision, many decades ago, to leave the actual
definition and implementation of short, int, long, etc. to the implementation
rather than enforce rules (16, 32, 64 bits) was wrong and shortsighted.  I
thought so when I was introduced to C in the late nineteen eighties and I did
not find any reason to change my mind ever since.

ZA