Obviously, I know that and I realized that the issue is integral boundaries!
I am dealing with COBOL, not PL/I but the real issue was that the order is the
other way around (i.e. the fullword is first and the halfword is second,
leaving a two bytes gap unaccounted for after every pair.
So I resolved it by adding a dummy two bytes variable in the end of each pair:

10 A PIC 9(9) COMP-5.
10 B PIC 9(4) COMP-5.
10 FILLER PIC XX.    <=== compensating for the integral boundary of the next
pair
10 D PIC 9(9) COMP-5.
10 E PIC 9(4) COMP-5.
10 FILLER PIC XX.    <=== compensating for the integral boundary of the next
element

This works fine.

I still do not know how to make PL/I communicate with C, but COBOL and C
communicate like a pair of newlyweds once this was resolved.

ZA