On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Ed Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Ze'ev:
> Because in most cases programmers are less than lets say bright. If you
> bring up ASCII you will only confuse them. I suspect they will try and use
> it in some sort of horrendous fashion, like convert to ASCII and then back.
> To give you an idea how stupid programmers can be a S0C7 turns into a tech
> support issue as the system said it was a 0C7 so it is a systems issue.
> Thats how bad some programmers are.

​Gee, Ed, do you know Walter? I got just that argument from him back in the
1970s. "System abend" -> "System problem". We were converting from DOS to
VS1. He had the same problem, data exception, in the DOS version. Which
printed the message: JOB TERMINATED DUE TO PROGRAM REQUEST (as I recall).
He brought the source code to the DOS sysprog and yell at him: "Just show
me the code that asked for my job to be terminated!"​

> Ed

​In today's mainframe world, most programmers, at least in the U.S., think
CP037 is the only EBCDIC code page.​ Unless they use z/OS UNIX, then
IBM-1047 becomes the "one true" EBCDIC.  And many think that Windows ASCII
(CP-1252) is the only "real" ASCII encoding. Luckily, at least on the ASCII
front, more programmers seem to be starting to know about UTF-8.
<plug>Especially Linux programmers </plug>

--
​
​

If you sent twitter messages while exploring, are you on a textpedition?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown