Seconded.
All the business systems in the world seem to work just fine so they must have been written by systems programmers:-D

On 2015-04-13 9:21 AM, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
Sorry for this rant but I just had to step in on this conversation.  That is
the most hoary, antiquated, and prejudiced set of statements about application
programmers that I think I have ever seen you make.  I remember making stupid
mistakes when I was a junior programmer and needing to ask for the systems
programmer's help, but to bring up that dumb 0C7 example is just dredging up
ancient history of application programming people as they MAY have been but
were never ALL alike.

In my experience, most of the COBOL application programmers who are left
working today (and I must admit there are fewer and fewer of us every day) are
both reasonably bright and very experienced in using the tools that earn them
their living.  Do they know the latest CS paradigms and theories?  Not always
(some do!), but they can program the daylights out of a business application
need, and get it done on time and with high-quality regression testing done too.

Knowing how to use COBOL FUNCTION intrinsics to translate text to or from ASCII
or any other code page is not rocket science, it is just normal business
programming.

Please get off that ridiculously high systems programmer horse of yours and
join us here in the 21st century.

Peter