Before you read any further, did you delete the file on the MVS system before
trying anything else?  I believe if you send a file into an existing MVS data
set, it will not change the DCB.

You should not look at just RFC 959, unfortunately.
Yes, "QUOTE" does not appear as a defined command in an RFC, in so far as I
have been able to dig into all the FTP RFC's, but have noticed that commonly
used FTP commands; "PUT","GET", "MPUT", & "MGET" are also NOT defined in the
RFC!

I did look at RFC 414 and there is just this little note:
" Note also that it is useful to provide a "Quote" or "talk" mode
   in user-FTP, to enable a user to input commands directly to the FTP
   server (i.e. commands not implemented in user-FTP).  It is desirable
   that user and server FTP features and desirable modes of usage be
   documented and reported via the RFC mechanism."

So there is no "Official" implementation of a "QUOTE" type of command, a
command which will send a command to the remote hosts server.

Here is IBM's definition of the QUOTE command:
" Use the QUOte subcommand to send an uninterpreted string of data to the
server port on the foreign host.
The QUOte subcommand bypasses the FTP interface of your local host. You can use
the QUOte subcommand to send commands that the remote server understands, but
that the local host does not understand."

What this all leads to is that you need to get a FTP SERVER command sent and as
I mentioned before:
FTP.sendcmd(cmd)

    Send a simple command string to the server and return the response string.

FTP.voidcmd(cmd)

    Send a simple command string to the server and handle the response. Return
nothing if a response code corresponding to success (codes in the range
200–299) is received. Raise error_reply otherwise.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
Information Technology
University of Florida