Before posting silly guesses - I should have read 1st the answers in:

IBM publication: Leap Seconds and Server Time Protocol (STP) - 11 February 2015
(pdf)

Table on page 4:

UTC=23:59:60 NTP/ETS=00:00:00 Leap second inserted. z/OS spins for 1 second.

Time UTC=23:59:60 is never passed to any program issuing TIME macro/s and never
reported by any application.

If STCK instruction is used:

"This returns the raw Time of Date (TOD) value. The application needs to
convert it to UTC by subtracting the total leap second offset, or to LOCAL time
by adding the local time of day offset and subtracting the leap second offset."