IBM are going after JSON big time with the new z/OS Connect tooling which transforms JSON into data structures like COBOL copybooks etc. That's all good but is JSON always the best choice when a simple text protocol can do the same job without the bloat https://github.com/influxdb/influxdb/pull/2696. XML is even worse.