On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 9:03 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IBM are going after JSON big time with the new z/OS Connect tooling which
> transforms JSON into data structures like COBOL copybooks etc.

​I hadn't heard of the "z/OS Connect" tooling. Sounds interesting. I see
what I can find on it.​

> That's all good but is JSON always the best choice when a simple text
> protocol can do the same job without the bloat
> https://github.com/influxdb/influxdb/pull/2696. XML is even worse.

​Thanks for the URL. I'll be looking at that.

One reason that I was looking at JSON or XML is that not every entry in a
LISTCAT has the same information in it. The referenced format does seem to
accommodate this because it appears to me that each line is "ad hoc"
formatted. One thing that I, personally, like about XML is that you have
have a DTD which precisely defines what is and what is not acceptable as
input. And, at least for me, the size of the data is not overly important.
Given that I have a 2 TiB HD in my at home (and more on two separate NAS
boxes), and most data centers have space in the 100s of TiB (or even more),
I don't know if JSON's "bloat", compared to the referenced format, is all
that terrible. And, of course, for "at rest" data, the XML/JSON can be
compressed (gzip, bzip, xz). If I were truly worried about it, I would
probably use some sort of "delimited" format where the first field of each
line identified the "schema" for the rest of the line. Such as: VL (VSAM
LDS), VK (VSAM KSDS), VR (VSAM RRDS), VE (VSAM ESDS), AL (ALIAS), NV
(NONVSAM), VV (VSAM VVRDS), and so on. I guess I was more trying to go with
something which is current and standardized. The referenced format appears
to be "in flux" and is not an ISO standard. Which reminds me that I really
should go over to the ISO site(s) and see if they have had other "textual
format" standard.

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown