On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 5:52 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/07/2015 9:37 PM, John McKown wrote:
>
>> ​Thanks for the pointer. This is a "on my own" project which has been put
>> on the "back burner"​. I'm fighting a hardware upgrade issue at home right
>> now. I think the SATA interface on the motherboard of one of my systems is
>> getting flaky. And the old, IDE, CD-ROM has gone totally silent, along
>> with
>> the main HD getting a lot of read errors. So I put in  some more memroy, a
>> 512 MiB SSD, and 2 (older) SATA HDs I had laying around; ordered new PCIe
>> SATA controller & DVD burner. I did a fresh install of RedHat Fedora on
>> the
>> SSD. Now in the process of re-installing all the software. Whew! Not easy
>> for a man with arthritis.
>>

> Looks like a good build. Just out of interest why do you favor RedHat
> Fedora?

​Versus what other distribution? RH was one of the first available. When I
first tried​, and failed, there was mainly only Slackware. I couldn't get
that installed on my XT. I don't remember what else was available when I
first got RedHat. I do remember that I had to pay for it and got access to
RHN for updates. This was long before Fedora. I guess that I've stayed with
RH simply because I'm used to it. I have also "dabbled" with OpenSUSE, on a
laptop, and Linux Mint. For some reason, I never even tried Ubuntu (yes,
Mint is an offshoot) or Debian. I definitely am not going DIY. The only
thing RH has done, lately, which has been irritating was going with
systemd. I'm learning it, but I really understood SYSTEM V init. And I
agree with the philosophical argument that systemd violates the "pristine"
UNIX motto of "do _one_ thing and to it _well_". systemd is trying to do
way too much, IMO.

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown