> Retry is not possible, though, and if the operator issues a second cancel
> command the non-APF program cannot trap that one, but the first one can be
> handled.

And this very fact disqualifies an x22 recovery routine as the solution for
such an important task as writing data out to disk. Been there seen that:
Operators issuing "C SOMEJOB" some 50 times within 10 minutes or so (no joke,
and that's not the whole story) against some hanging address space which did
not get cancelled.

With this experience in mind, I would never consider an ESTAE exit to be able
to reliably do lengthy actions on a x22 abend. And I consider writing important
data out to disk to be an endless lengthy operation.

Alternatives:
- Could you change the code to use a coupling factility structure to keep that
index data?
- Could you change the code to use a system logger logstream?

--
Peter Hunkeler