>>should I just translate it to ASCII on z/OS first and then FTP it in
binary with RDWs? Would someone be so kind as to share the command to do
the translate?
>>Years ago I wanted the same and I never found one nor wrote one. FTP's
EBCDIC <-> ASCII translation is for the entire logical record. You would
need a "field" level translation to get no translation for the length
fields and EBCDIC <-> ASCII translation for the text fields.

Charles/Don,

DFSORT has the capability of converting from EBCDIC to ASCII and
vice-versa

TRAN=ETOA converts EBCDIC characters to ASCII characters
TRAN=ATOE converts ASCII characters to EBCDIC characters

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=Your.INPUT.VB.FILE
//SORTOUT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD *
  OPTION COPY
  INREC BUILD=(1,4,5,TRAN=ETOA)
//*

Further if you have any questions please let me know

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote on
09/01/2015 08:01:42 AM:

> From: Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
> To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> Date: 09/01/2015 08:03 AM
> Subject: FTP - how get RDW and ASCII
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
>
> I have a legacy dataset in VB format. I would like to FTP it to a PC (1)
> translating the record data to ASCII and (2) preserving the LLBB record
> control words. (Don't need the block control words.) I tried the obvious
> ASCII and QUOTE SITE RDW but FTP has translated my RDWs to ASCII
(rendering
> them useless of course). Does anyone have a clever trick to translate
the
> "data" portion of the records to ASCII but preserve the LLBBs?
>
> This is a one-time development chore, not a nightly production job. I'm
not
> fussy about code pages and so forth. The dataset is small: 30 records,
20K
> total.
>
> One of you UNIX experts: should I just translate it to ASCII on z/OS
first
> and then FTP it in binary with RDWs? Would someone be so kind as to
share
> the command to do the translate? Again, the existing dataset is legacy
MVS,