I wonder if it would be worth while to write an alternate SUBMIT command
processor? But that's likely overkill since someone could easily create a
SUBMIT REXX program to do the same, but use the INTRDR, allocated using
BPXWDYN perhaps. The only minus is that this (REXX) would not invoke the
TSO SUBMIT command exit code. Which might be OK since it is likely
restricted to data which is FB/80.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Steve Thompson <ste...@copper.net> wrote:

> On 09/04/2015 02:18 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>
> Perhaps they read the manual?  People are often telling each other to do
>> that.
>>
>> If you want users to restrict themselves to the SUBMIT command, you should
>> submit RFEs to:
>>
>> o Relax the fixed-80 restriction imposed by SUBMIT but not by INTRDR.
>>
>> o SUBMIT from DDNAMES, UNIX files, and POSIX pipes, all of which are
>>    supported by INTRDR but not by SUBMIT.
>>

> Well, after the conversation I just had over JCL "errors" that aren't, I
> can understand why one would use INTRDR rather than SUBMIT.
>
> It seems that TSO SUBMIT *assumes* statements such as IF, ELSE, and ENDIF
> as operator commands!! It does not assume that for DD, JOB, and EXEC
> statements (z/OS TSO/E Customization V2R1 SA32-0976-00, p. 300).
>
> After the discussion that I've had with JES C/I (which is where we thought
> this problem was), it seems that TSO built SUBMIT with a rudimentary
> parse/scan, which INTRDR did not implement.
>
> TSO confirmed that they do a certain amount of parse/scan, and then tells
> us that "TSO" does not want to get into doing C/I work. Yet that *is* what
> they effected in years gone by.
>
> This then produces a different handling of IF, ELSE, ENDIF, INCLUDE, SET,
> etc. as they would be seen as an operator command if it ends with a ","
> (per the above cited doc -- which TSO cited to me when I pointed out these
> conflicts).
>
> This behavior by IBM effectively deprecates SUBMIT.
>
> Regards,
> Steve Thompson

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown