What bugs me is that z/OS 1.13 systems are not exposed to this defect yet IBM
created an aparfix for 1.13.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Dana Mitchell
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2015 12:56 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Unicode services Red alert

We are on z/OS 1.13, I'm still a little unclear of our exposure here.  The apar
states:
In the reported problem, iconv() calls the Unicode Services, conversion
information service, CUNLINFO or CUN4LINF, during a character conversion and
receives RC8 RSNB when the create time of the UCCB time is D0000000 0000000 or
greater.
1. Any application or system code that calls iconv() -
     The iconv() service only makes use of the Unicode
     Information Services at z/OS 2.1 and higher releases.
     iconv() is not exposed to this defect on z/OS 1.13 and
     lower.

If I'm understanding this correctly:
1. The bug makes iconv() fail because CUNLINFO or CUN4LINF fails with RC8.
2. iconv() only calls CUNLINF or CUN4LINF only at z/OS 2.1 and higher.

so at 1.13 the only failure would be any code that calls CUNLINFO or CUN4LINF
directly?   other than what was stated above, no other IBM components call
these?

I plan on getting this applied but we probably would not be able to get
production online lpars IPLed before this date, just want to understand and be
able to explain the risks.

thanks
Dana