If IBM had some good sense there would be a way for him to run z/OS.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2015 4:12 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: I just bought an IBM z890

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 14:55:28 -0500, Connor Krukosky <conn...@connorsdomain.com>
wrote:
>Hi I'm new to the list, was pointed here by someone because I need some
>help using the HMC on the z890 to get an LPAR setup to boot via FTP.
>I bought this machine for $237 :)
>It wasn't fun to get into the basement but its here now.
>http://imgur.com/a/5uWit
>I have gotten it to power on and 'power-on reset' but that's about as
>far as I've gotten.
>I also have to reconfigure the I/O because a pair of I/O modules where
>damaged because the heat-sinks fell off when removing them and they
>damaged some chips while removing them.
>Any help would be appreciated :)

Congratulations, Connor.  You now belong to a very select club of people who
have a mainframe in their home.  :-)

I understand that you want to run Linux.   Good, because it's the only free OS
you can get that will run on that box.  The MVS 3.8 that people talk about
won't, since it's a S/370 architecture OS and the z890 is ESA/390 and
z/Architecture only.

Your box comes with three types of integrated consoles, one of each per
partition you create:  line mode ("Operating system messages"), 3270, and
native ASCII.   All of them work with Linux, but I suspect you'll like the
ASCII console the best.   These console are not devices in the traditional
sense and are not defined in your IOCP.  They're more like services, rather
than devices.

A z/Architecture Linux DVD can be placed in the DVD drive on the HMC, or you
can load the files to an FTP server, and boot from either location.

You will need to change your I/O configuration (IOCP) to reconfigure your fibre
channel adapters to be FCP instead of FICON.  Linux will also be looking for a
network adapter (Open Systems Adapter, OSA).

Congrats, again!  We're all pulling for you!