Thanks, I've already learned how to reconfigure the IOCDS correctly and I've learned that newer releases of Linux for s390x don't take advantage of the 'Operating system messages' making them hard to configure or find out if they are doing anything at all after the initial load. The two versions of Linux I have been successful with so far have been ThinkBlue (which was last updated in 2001) and CentOS 4.9 (which is from around 2007-09? I think?). Something like the most current version of Debian doesn't support these 'Operating system messages' thus making the install 'blind' you have to setup the parmfile and HOPE you get it right, otherwise you get nothing. Also this parmfile for Debian seems to be terribly documented for some reason?

Once you use the OS Messages to configure the network port on one of the OSA cards you can SSH into it, I assume this is what you mean by the ASCII console.

Setting up 3270 consoles for Linux appears to need a package installed, so you can only enable this after you complete an install. I already have a console setup over an OSA-ICC configured in the IOCDS and through the SE. Connecting to it gives me the info on the OSA connection and such but that's it so far. As I have said I eventually plan to have a 3174 attached via network so I can use an old Memorex amber terminal with it :)

I am still waiting on some cables and such to attach the SAN box up and see if I can in fact install onto it. I am not sure if I can but I did see some packages initializing in the CentOS installer for SCSI so I may be-able to, we will see in the near future.

Thanks again! This has been really fun to learn about thus far, and I plan to learn much more :)

-Connor K