Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find, from a historical perspective, that is to say, after an
event has occurred, what units of work were using how much of the available CPU.
Is there an SMF and/or RMF report that allows on to ask,

"During the interval from hh:mm to hh:mm on a particular day, in increments of
y units, what was the consumption of CPU on a unit of work basis?"

Another way to put it is, I am looking for a report that shows CPU consumption
in a context similar to the SDSF DA screen as one sits at their terminal and
presses the enter key.

We are trying to find out who, during a specific interval of the day, was
consuming the greatest amount of CPU to the ultimate effect that it essentially
stopped one of our database regions from executing and thereby causing it to
think some of its subtasks had gone into a runaway CPU condition so it aborted
them as a preemptive action against bad coding. We know that the code is good,
it's been literally running for years with no changes and, until the last
couple of weeks, has had not a single hiccup. Over the last couple of weeks,
for no reason we can identify as of yet, the code has randomly been aborted by
the database software in which it runs, as a runaway task.

The theory is that the runaway check process is actually reporting a false
condition since it is based on wall clock time (this is vendor code, not ours
and I'm not going to debate it one way or another). What the vendor theorizes
is that another task in the system, yet to be identified, has stolen the CPU
away from the database and held on to it long enough such that when the
database finally regained access to the CPU, the runaway interval had been
exceeded by the internal task executing our code so it was aborted for a
potential loop within the code.

The database vendor has suggested looking for this kind of information in order
to confirm or deny that the database had the CPU it needed or if another task
within the LPAR had control. If we find that the database had the CPU, then the
vendor has more analysis work to do on the dump with a more powerful magnifying
glass, or we have to turn our sights on someone else, either ourselves or,
possibly, another vendor for another product.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this.
Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:chuck.har...@thermofisher.com>
Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
EAS Information Technology

Thermo Fisher Scientific
300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230
chuck.har...@thermofisher.com<mailto:chuck.har...@thermofisher.com>  |
www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient,
or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to
the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please inform the sender and delete all copies.