On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 5:37 PM, esst...@juno.com <esst...@juno.com> wrote:

> From my personal observation I don't see a shortage of Mainframe Skills.
> I do see companies not willing to pay for an experience skill set. In to
> days economic climate business are very reluctant to hire staff positions,
> they would rather invest in contractors.

​That's definitely true at the company I'm working for. Basically, the
company wants "ad hoc" workers for some project. But they don't seem to
have any concern about "maintenance" or having people on staff who
understand how things work. They want I.T. to be like the water/sewage
company or electricity. Or maybe like plumbers. Call when you have a
problem. Too bad, for them, that I.T. tends to be more "customized" and you
can't just unplug a programmer from one job and plug him into another,
unlike a light bulb or a lamp.

The company wants to only be an insurance company. They are outsourcing
I.T. infrastructure. They have already outsourced the DBA function, new
business data entry, and claims data entry. I'm not sure about the
applications themselves. I do know that the software for the agents is
actually written by programmers in the agency company, as opposed to the
insurance / underwriting company (us).

 .

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown