I know it was a free option because I asked the price from someone at IBM and informed me it was actually a free feature code.
But they just don't offer it anymore.

"Feature Code 9904 was available at no charge back in the day. Unfortunately Feature Code 9904 was only available for ordering from IBM through December 31, 2007.

You could try putting out a request in IBM-MAIN for Feature Code 9904 for your machine to see if anyone can help, but don't be too surprised if this just isn't possible to obtain. :-("

Its likely a long shot but I thought I'd ask anyway.

A DS6000 host controller, not even the whole chassis and drives, has a minimum price on ebay at the moment for $1,800.
ESCON/FICON based DASD is EXPENSIVE!
If someone has some storage laying around they don't need and are in a reasonable distance from me I'd greatly appreciate it. But I think I have to stick with SCSI storage as of now due to price of 'real' storage. It'll definitely be way more than the 50-100 or so bucks I spent on a whole 3TB SCSI storage box, SAN box, and SAN switch.

-Connor K