The 2005 SHARE presentation Conner noted makes the issues much clearer
for those of us who have never worked with FCP channels on z-boxes:
SCSI I/O using QDIO over FCP channels requires not a 2-byte device
address but all sorts of parameters to establish the I/O connections,
and Feature FC9904 appears to add code to the SE and HMC to add
additional panels to allow for enabling SCSI IPL and supplying all the
new parameters required to initiate the I/O.   It also talks about FCP
SCSI IPL support being added to zVM V4.4, but even if you had zVM, you
would still have to be able to IPL zVM first, which if you only had SCSI
drives over FCP would seem to also require FC9904.

The sysload tool mentioned sounds like code that runs under z
architecture, not code that runs on the SE.  That suggests it in this
case would also have to be installed on a SCSI drive and you would then
have the same problem trying to IPL it.

I'm puzzled as to how a load/IPL was initiated on the z890 to install
CentOS for system z on a SCSI drive.  That suggests you have some way to
initiate a load from a source other than FCP SCSI.  If so, perhaps there
is hope for using a similar technique to load a bootstrap loader that
then loads from SCSI.  My brief search attempts found conflicting info
on whether there is CentOS support for z-architecture platforms, but
perhaps I just didn't find the correct sites.
    Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org