On 4 December 2015 at 17:39, Connor Krukosky <conn...@connorsdomain.com>
wrote:

> Ok so I'm sure many have been wondering what happened with the z890.

Indeed.

> I have after many road blocks I have gotten the FCP SCSI storage working
> and actually did complete an install of CentOS 4.7 on it last night!

Woo-hoo!

> But the new problem is IPLing said install. I would be-able to directly
> IPL from SCSI if I had Feature Code FC 9904, which I do not.
> This was supposedly a free Feature Code back in the day but was only
> available till Dec. 31, 2007.
> So if anyone has FC 9904 and is able to send me a copy (If that's how that
> works? I assume this is loaded into the system via floppy.) it would make
> my life a million times easier :)

Your box has a floppy drive? Really?

> Otherwise I will have to find a way to mount the drives in an installer
> and boot with the installer.
> Which I have yet to find a way to do this, any documented way anyway, I
> will have to play with it.
> This should be last step to have Linux running!
> So hopefully someone can get me a copy of FC 9904 or I can find some other
> way to IPL.

Just so I'm clear... Your z890 plugs in to your SCSI disk box, but it won't
IPL from it? That is, these are separate features? If I have this right,
then it should be possible to write a small program that could, at worst,
be keyed in to storage. This program would then perform the I/O
instructions to emulate the SCSI IPL. Sort of like the way VM emulates IPL
in a virtual machine. Well maybe this is just what FC 9904 does...

I must say that CCW programming is a lot simpler than what I see of TCWs
and such.

Tony H.