It's actually the SMFSTAMP8. format provided in the SAS language that converts
the datetime format into a SAS datetime variable, which contains the number of
seconds plus/minus Jan 1, 1960, the IBM epoch.  (Unix and other use 1970).

There are 670 instances of variables INPUT with the SMFSTAMP8 informat in the
MXG source library, and 1538 instances of variables INPUT with TODSTAMP8
informat.

SMFSTAMP is limited to 2 decimal resolution (10 milliseconds) while most
TODSTAMP8
fields have microsecond resolution.

One of the beauties of SAS datetime variables is the ability to under specify
the
length of the datetime FORMAT (DATETIME21.2 for SMFSTAMP, DATETIME25.6 for
TODSTAMP)
so that FORMAT VARIABLE DATE9. ; can be used to summarize/report by DATE
(06JAN2016)
without creating a DATE variable, or FORMAT VARIABLE DATETIME12.; can be used to
report/summarize by DATE and HOUR (06JAN2016:12) and FORMAT VARIABLE
DATETIME13. can be used
report/summarize by DATE/HOUR/and MINUTE (06JAN2016:12:30) without creating new
variables.

MERRILLY NEW YEAR,

Barry

Herbert W. “Barry” Merrill, PhD
President-Programmer
MXG Software
Merrill Consultants
10717 Cromwell Drive
Dallas, TX 75229-5112
ba...@mxg.com
Fax:  214 350 3694 – Still works, received as email
Tel:  214 351 1966 – Unreliable, please use email

www.mxg.com        HomePage: FAQ answers most questions
ad...@mxg.com      License Forms, Invoice, Payment, ftp information
supp...@mxg.com    Technical Issues
MXG-L FREE ListServer  http://www.mxg.com/mxg-l_listserver/