Well, let's see:

a) 'Upgrade' to z/VSE (I know at least one such shop.)
b) Stay on z/OS

Tony Thigpen
z/VSE Bigot

R.S. wrote on 01/28/2016 05:28 PM:
W dniu 2016-01-28 o 19:44, Charles Mills pisze:
I cannot speak for IBM, but IMHO they may have felt that way at one time,
but EC 5.2 is clearly an investment on IBM's part and a commitment to the
future of COBOL.

You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs. "Add new features" and
"make
it go into an old-fashioned load module" are potentially inconsistent
requirements.

Well, IMHO there are two kinds of mainframe customers:

a) Legacy
We don't want PDSE, We don't want binder. We don't want SMS. We still
want VSAM passwords. We don't want VSAM. ISAM was good. We don't want
FICON. We want ESCON ...for BUS&Tag connectivity. We want 3274...

b) modern
We want COBOLE AMODE64. We want HFS/ZFS >4GB. We want DSORG=PO to be
multi-volume. We want JCL modifications. Etc.

The problem is satisfying b) means troubles for a) group.