Ed:

That is why I have always resisted the extra features of SORT as they *ARE* sort dependent. A long time ago a company I was at set a standard of what sort was to be used. The LPAR was using syncsort (nothing wrong with that IMO) and they installed DFSORT. The conversion went reasonably well but then a yearly job ran 8 months later and it failed because of incompatibility of sort control cards.

Luckily the people (IBM IFIRC) helped the programmer change the control cards so the job was successful. But there were a *LOT* of political fallout as a result. As a result there had to be a year overlap on future program product changes so a fall was available.

On the other hand we were ordered to get of one vendors software and installed another vendors software and the control cards were 100 percent compatible.

SO it seems to work sometimes, just hope you don't get into a political fight.

Ed