On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Bill Ashton <bill00ash...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello friends!
> I have a teammate working on a z/OS 1.12 system and is trying to make a
> proc fairly foolproof for his user. He wants to know the easiest way to
> convert a SET statement or JCL Parm into a control card.
>
> This proc needs a DSN and a couple other values as part of a SYSIN for the
> program, and since we can't use symbolics in pre-z/OS 2.1, I would like a
> way using standard IBM utilities to take a PARM symbolic and create an
> output file that I can use as input to the program. The parm input would
> only be one line, and not longer than 50 chars.
>
> Does anyone have any good ideas? Sort? Gener?

​Oh, man, does it really _have_ to be good? A REXX program is a possibility.

// SET SYMBOL=some_value
//*
//MKCTLC EXEC PGM=IKJEFT1B,PARM='%MKCTL &SYMBOL'
//SYSTSIN DD DUMMY
//SYSTSPRT DD DUMMY
//SYSEXEC DD DISP=SHR,DSN=some.rexx.library
//SYSUT2 DD DSN=&&CTLCARD,DISP=(NEW,PASS),
// UNIT=SYSDA,RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=0,
// SPACE=(TRK,1)
//*

/* REXX
   MKCTL */
PARSE ARG STRING
CARD="some stuff at front "||STRING||"more stuff on end"
QUEUE CARD
"EXECIO 1 DISKW SYSUT2(FINIS"
EXIT RC /* PROPAGATE RC FROM EXECIO */
​
​===

I have restrained myself from using any UNIX. Aren't you glad? [grin].​

--
Werner Heisenberg is driving down the autobahn. A police officer pulls
him over. The officer says, "Excuse me, sir, do you know how fast you

Computer Science is the only discipline in which we view adding a new wing
to a building as being maintenance -- Jim Horning

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown