On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Tom Marchant <
0000000a2a8c2020-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:53:00 -0600, John McKown wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Tom Marchant <
> >0000000a2a8c2020-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> >> system from Microsoft.
> >>
> >> There was no operating system from Microsoft that predated the IBM PC.
> >>

> >​According to
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_DOS_operating_systems PC-DOS
> 1.0
> >was released in 1981 but in ​1979 - MS made a licensed version of Xenix
> for
> >the 8086
> >ref:
> >
> http://www.softpanorama.org/People/Torvalds/Finland_period/xenix_microsoft_shortlived_love_affair_with_unix.shtml
>
> I stand corrected. But Xenix was not a "PC-type operating system", but a
> port of Unix.

​Ah. Difference in viewpoint. My machines at home run Linux. And they are
Intel based (core i7 & Xeon), and most call them a "PC". So, is Windows a
"PC-type operating system"? I truly am curious about people's ideas in this
area. I don't know of anybody who runs a "PC-type operating system" if by
that you mean something like MS-DOS. Hum, even my smartphone's Android
system is more advanced than MS-DOS. So is my lobotomized turtle (no, I
don't have one of those. I just read that phrase in a book as a "put down"
about a intelligence of a mobster's "goon". <giggle/>)​

> --
> Tom Marchant

Werner Heisenberg is driving down the autobahn. A police officer pulls
him over. The officer says, "Excuse me, sir, do you know how fast you
were going?"
"No," replies Dr. Heisenberg, "but I know where I am."

Computer Science is the only discipline in which we view adding a new wing
to a building as being maintenance -- Jim Horning

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown