In previous and current assignments I have, in test, destroyed a DB and
attempted an IPL, after 45 minutes of bleeding-finger console responses we
gave up and IPL'd off a good DB.
We have forced the DB offline, fail soft testing, and after 50-70 console
Then there was the day I cam into the office and my DB was GONE! Only
because I had a recent backup on an available volume, and a handy IBM tech
(thank you Russ) we had no real outage and lost only 4 hours of password
updates.
All  of which underscores the point, you want a dozen different options
before you are forced to use UADS, and an on-line available copy of the DB
is a life saver.

Cheers,
Joe