From: Robert Hahne
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 01:36
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: Prefix save area - confused

In MVS/XA , with prefixing, the processors did not use absolute locations
0-4095. Rather, each

processor had its own separate PSA and its own prefix
register. When a processor

is brought on line, the real starting address of its PSA is
stored in its prefix register.

Whenever the processor uses an address between 0 and 4095,
the hardware adds

the the contents of the prefix register to the address and
uses the result. With

prefixing, the address that normally would be the absolute
address of the

information in the first page of storage becomes an offset
from the start of the real

PSA. Because each processor's prefix register contains a
different address, each

processor can address locations 0 to 4095 and reference its
own data.
In Z/architecture , it used to fix the first 2 pages unlike MVS/XA and the
concept did not change AFAIK ...
Robert Hahne