Not confused. Just didn't remember the hardware correctly.
But, I do remember the complaints for 4K out of an entire HIPERSPACE.

-teD
  Original Message
From: Jim Mulder
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 02:15
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: Prefix save area - confused

> With ESA it was 'absolute' zero.
> I remember because we had users complain about the unusable portion
> of a HIPERSPACE which was the PSA.
>
> -teD

You are indeed confused, teD. 3090E processors did not
have the necessary hardware to implement the
Private-Space Control(P) bit, which overrides
low-address protection and fetch-protection override.
For that reason, MVS/ESA did not map addresses 0-4095 in data spaces
on 3090E processors. This had nothing to do with prefixing.
The Private-Space Control(P) bit was implemented on 3090S and
subsequent processors, so MVS/ESA did map addresses 0-4095 in
data spaces on those processors.

Jim Mulder z/OS System Test IBM Corp. Poughkeepsie, NY