On 15 March 2016 at 12:46, Lindy Mayfield <lindy.mayfi...@sas.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the new stuff I learned by asking a mixed up question.  But I
> got it now.

And just to be completely clear on the original message

IKJ56236I  FILE STEPLIB INVALID, FILENAME RESTRICTED

This really does mean just what it says. It's the four DDNAMEs JOBLIB,
STEPLIB, JOBCAT, and STEPCAT themselves that are caught and rejected early
on in dynamic allocation. It's not some more subtle "effective STEPLIB" or
something; it's those exact DDNAMEs.

Of course everyone remembers that FILENAME (and in some contexts FILE) is
early TSO-speak for DDNAME... But this leads to a particularly confusing
version of the message:

alloc ddname(steplib) path('/usr/bin')
IKJ56236I  PATH /usr/bin INVALID, FILENAME RESTRICTED

which is still complaining about STEPLIB, not '/usr/bin'.

This surely calls for one of Gil's well formulated SRs. IBM has changed
some of the sillier TSO messages over the years, so it's not that there's
no hope at all.

Tony H.