On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:09:38 -0400, Tony Harminc  wrote:

On 2016-03-15 15:09, Tony Harminc wrote:

>> That probably needs an RFE, not an SR. Really, it should clarify:
>> IKJ56236I PATH /usr/bin INVALID, FILENAME STEPLIB RESTRICTED
>
> Better yet,
> IKJ56236I PATH /usr/bin INVALID, DDNAME STEPLIB RESTRICTED
>
> Or even better, since there's nothing at all wrong with the PATH,
> IKJ56236I DYNAMIC ALLOCATION USING DDNAME STEPLIB IS NEVER ALLOWED

Verbose, perhaps, but I agree. It's better to validate the
syntax before attempting environmental checks. And M&C (2.1) says:

z/OS TSO/E Messages
SA32-0970-00
IKJ56236I
FILE [text] INVALID, FILENAME RESTRICTED
Explanation
For the item text could appear the following:
text = STEPLIB
text = USERCAT
text = JOBLIB
text = STEPCAT
text = JOBCAT

... They're not even following the template which says "FILE" is immutable.
That's worth an SR.

But:
user@OS/390.25.00: rexx "say BPXWDYN( 'alloc dd(STEPLIB) dsn(''FOO.BAR'') shr
msg(2)' )"
IKJ56236I FILE STEPLIB INVALID, FILENAME RESTRICTED

So when it's DSN instead of PATH they do the right thing. They simply
felt they had to punish UNIX users.

-- gil