On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 23:28:46 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:

>The way I learned to do it was that logon procs did a universal ex
>sysproc(logon) and if you had a pds that had the member logon in it

o Isn't the argument to EX a DDNAME, not a DSNAME?
o What causes that PDS to be allocated?  That was the OP's
  question.

  Or is the assumption that there's an optional
      'prefix.SYSPROC(LOGON)'
  and that failure of the EXEC command is tolerable.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 23:30:27 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:

>Don't blame MVS. *YOU* can set it up to your own local standards.

Tunnel vision.  That's fine if the "*YOU*" involved is the arbiter of
those "local standards"; not so much for a lowly end user applications
programmer with no authority to modify a logon procedure.

But on experiment I believe the COMMAND field meets the OP's
needs:

o It's controlled by the end user.

o It persists from session to session.

-- gil